Monday, November 01, 2010

Better off doing...

I have a problem that I wanna bug you with. I'm not in my 20s anymore but I still think as if I am. How? By obsessing with who I want to be when I grow up. I still take courses in different subjects insisting that I can steer my career the way it should be so that I can fulfill my destiny, or whatever it is I'm meant to do. It's a little sad but I guess it keeps me going. And that's why I want to write about this. I've always wanted to and now I have the perfect medium for it.

If they still had their careers ahead of them, what would they have been better off doing? And for that, I stick to what I know best. Actors and performers. And I'm going for singers who I would definitely have loved to see at the cinema more often:

  • Cher: Have you ever seen Moonstruck? The woman is amazing. She's funny. She's sexy. And the camera loves her. She even got an Oscar nomination for that role. Her music... It's OK, but I could have lived without it.
  • Bjork: You may not believe it if you haven't seen it, but that woman kicked ass in Lars von Trier's Dancer in the Dark. I have to admit though that I would have hated to see her completely out of the music scene cause she introduced some pretty original sounds. But we definitely did not see enough of her at the theatre.
  • Jennifer Lopez: Now hang on there. I know what you're gonna say. We've seen enough of her in those lousy chick flicks from The Wedding Planner to Monster-in-Law. But I'm telling you, that wasn't really her. That was the singer J-Lo trying very very unsuccessfully to be cute. Watch Out of Sight and you'll see the potential. And hey, think of it that way, if she made more serious movies, she wouldn't have had enough time to spew out that awful noise they call music.
  • Justin Timberlake: I'm not gonnna say anything. He's still young. He can still do it. I'm rooting for him.
  • Mark Walberg: Well actually here's one who did follow his destiny and went on the right path (Yes. I do envy him.) Started off as rapper-wanna be Marky Mark - I don't know what he was thinking. But he moved on to greener pastures with Boogie Nights and a well-deserved Oscar-nominated performance in The Departed.
Here's a quick list of people I am thrilled did NOT make it on the big screen:
  • Madonna
  • Britney Spears
  • Beyonce Knowles
  • and of course... Whitney Houston (even the video of I Will Always Love You reeks of terrible acting).

I know I'm missing loads of people here, especially males but none come to mind at the moment. Feel free to refresh my memory, cause it would be quite depressing if this identity confusion phenomenon is a female thing.

No comments: